Sunday, October 27
This will be the final notice to sign up for our annual Chili Cook-Off. Now’s your chance to show off your closet cooking skills and enter your own special “private stash.” If you want to simply attend and sample the many chili’s being offered, that is great too!
The Chili Cook‑off will be held on Sunday, October 27, from 1:00 to 6:00 p.m. in The Wine Courtyard at the Orange County Fair & Event Center.
Chili Award categories are as follows...
Best Chili Overall – 1st Place
Best Chili Overall – 2nd Place
Best Chili Overall – 3rd Place
Most Unusual Chili
Best Chili With Wine
Best First‑Time Chili Cook
All chili entrants will be awarded a bottle of wine for your efforts. Prize-winning chili chefs will be awarded a famous Engraved Chili Ladle denoting your winning category.
Our distinguished panel of judges from the Culinary Arts Department at Orange Coast College will again do the honors of tasting and judging the chilies. All chilies entered are eligible for one or more awards. The Best Chili With Wine category will be judged separately. As such, if your chili contains wine, then so indicate on the entry form.
Please indicate the name of your chili on the entry form. Allow enough time to set up your presentation display and prepare your chili for judging. Set-up time will be available from 10:30 am. Remember, your presentation and chili must be ready by 11:30 am for chili‑judging. No tasters will be allowed entry until the judging has been completed. This should be around 1:00 pm when the event will formally begin and all entries will be available for general chili tasting.
Admission price is $30 for members and $35 for guests who want to “taste” only. Chili Team contestants are admitted free. I need your sign-up by Friday, October 18.
Additionally, I will need a few volunteers to help with this event. If you would like to join me to put on this fun event, just drop me an e-mail to email@example.com. Remember, you can volunteer and still enter a chili. Don’t let one interfere with the other - the more chili cooks; the better. I will be needing help with the following…
· Set-Up (9:00 to 10:30 am)
· Clean-Up (5:30 to 6:30 pm)
· Registration and Reception
· Wine and Beer Serving
~ Chili Cook-off Rules ~
1. Each team will consist of no more than two cooks, one of whom must be a member of the OCWS.
2. Each Chili Team will have four linear feet of display area.
3. Each entry must provide at least six quarts of chili.
4. Chili must be ready for judging by 11:30 am.
5. The name of your chili must be on the entry form.
6. If wine is used as an ingredient, please state the varietal. Chilies with wine will be judged separately.
7. Provide a way to keep the chili hot (camp stove, crock pot, etc.)
8. If you’ll need electricity, you must furnish your own extension cord. Extension cords must be the heavy-duty type. We will have several high-capacity junction boxes available on a first-come, first-served basis.
9. Judging will start at 11:30 am, open tasting to follow at 1:00 pm.
10. Bring your own ladle or spoon for serving.
11. Sign-up by October 18.